Walter R. Sundling PTA
Home of the Paladins
Welcome & Introductions
Kris Ahlgrim, PTA President, called the meeting to order at 7:03 PM. A quorum was established with 14 members in attendance.
Minutes from the November 20, 2013 meeting were reviewed and approved (Dowd/Azpuru).
Kris Ahlgrim for Karen Detloff
Current balance is $7327.87.
· Third quarter began on Wednesday and report cards will be distributed Friday.
· Have about 15 teachers already signed up to play in Student/Faculty Basketball Game on Feb. 13.
· On Feb. 6, “Now We’re Talking” will take place in District Meeting room at 7PM. This was an excellent presentation 2 years ago and all parents are encouraged to attend.
· 8th grade graduation is POTENTIALLY scheduled for June 6 pending Board approval and no other snow dates.
Teacher Representative’s Report
· Amie Wolff reports potential for yoga sessions in PE in future.
· Keith Janosch announces 7th grade volleyball team: Audrey Birk, Madeline Birk, Kate Goodwin, Lauren Henning, Nicole Hollenbeck, Meghan Lambke, Gala Martin, Gabby Metallo, Lily Morris, Emily Parrot, Emma Raby, Anna Selleck and managers Paige Micheal and Jess Streepy.
· Laura Turek is looking for service projects for NJHS so contact her at email@example.com if interested, especially elementary school PTAs.
· Jeff Zilke reports 8th grade Symphonic Band attended “Hello Dolly” on Dec. 4, 8th grade Sax Ensemble performed at PTA Book Fair on Dec. 13, the Fremd HS Wind Symphony performed for band members Dec. 6, Winter Band concerts took place on Dec. 16 and 17, Jazz and Symphonic Bands performed at 8th Grade Winter Assembly on Dec. 8, Jazz Band performed at Northshore Jazz Festival on January 18 and received a Superior rating and ranked second place overall, and Mark Burger and Yoshiyuki Otani were awarded Outstanding Soloist awards at same festival.
· The staff had very positive comments about Book Fair and thanks Alison Silver and all volunteers who put on a great event.
· 7th grade Language Art classes are participating in “Candy for a Cause.” They put together presentations about different charities and will be selling Fannie Mae candy bars soon to raise money for chosen charity.
· Thank you to Alison Silver for Book Fair, Mary Kay Aronson for Parent/Teacher Conference Dinner, Karen Detloff for Treasurer duties, and Jennifer Spitzer for School Directory.
· Please follow Kris on twitter. Search for WRSPTA.
· NWSC/District News: Scott Thompson spoke about Snow Day information and student safety, early release was discussed and new bus information was mailed, 2014-15 calendar has been posted on website, and 6th Grade Academy has been put off for one year.
· PCEE Report: Laurie Wood reports that at Dec. 3rd meeting, bus driver hiring was discussed, tax levy is being determined, school calendar was presented, early release was discussed, and additional training for teachers on IPads will be forthcoming.
· IL PTA Awards Applications are due March 1st for convention in April.
· NWSC PTA General Membership Meeting and Reflections Showcase will take place Monday, January 27 from 6-7 PM at Sandburg. The meeting will begin at 7PM and will be short. All are encouraged to attend.
Book Fair: Alison Silver reports Book Fair at Barnes and Noble on Friday, December 13 was very successful. Thanks to all staff, students, and parents who participated. $1800 was raised and Barnes and Noble reports it was their most successful school event.
Ways and Means: Chris Daly reports $1150 has been made to date. Next Dine and Share will be Feb. 3 at McDonalds from 2:30 to 6:30 PM, Feb. 9 Pizza Bella, and March 11 at Culvers from 5-8 PM.
Website: Send information to Jen Soloway if you want something posted on website. firstname.lastname@example.org
Cultural Arts: Stephanie Davis reports researching future assembly activities.
Environmental Education: Kari McLennan has placed 2 recycle bins in school and will be encouraging all students to recycle foil lined wrappers from granola bars, etc. to raise money for WRS.
8th Grade Graduation: Stephanie Davis is working on planning all events.
Newsletter: Kaitlynn Philbin will get Newsletter out on Friday or early next week.
Parent Connection: Troy McLennan reports “Now We’re Talking” will be presented on February 6 at 7PM in WRS District Meeting Room.
Student/Faculty Basketball Game: Suzanne Dowd and Robin Murauskis report the game will take place on February 13 at 7PM. Tickets are $2 and there will be raffle prizes, concessions, half-time games, and a Band performance. Contact her at Suzanne.email@example.com if interested in volunteering.
· Election of Sundling PTA Nominating Committee took place. Elected were Alison Silver, Cari Singer, Julie O’Hara, Taja Kics, Kathy Paquette, Beverly Preuss and Kay Domanus (Davis/Murauskis).
· Next meeting will Wednesday, February 19 at 7 PM in District Meeting Room.
· Important Dates:
o 1/24: report cards sent home
o 1/27: NWSC Meeting and Reflections Showcase, Sandburg, 7 PM.
o 1/31: start of Early Release
o 2/3: McDonalds Dine and Share, 2:30-6:30 PM.
o 2/6: Parent Connection “Now We’re Talking” at WRS, 7 PM.
o 2/9: Pizza Bella Dine and Share
o 2/13: Student/Faculty Basketball Game, 7 PM.
o 2/17-18: no school
o 2/19: WRS PTA Meeting, 7 PM.
With the conclusion of all formal business and no additional items for discussion, Kris adjourned the meeting at 7:48 PM.
Minutes submitted by Linda Raby, WRS PTA Secretary