Walter R. Sundling PTA
General Membership / Board Meeting Minutes
April 17, 2013
Welcome & Introductions
Jen Schelfhout, PTA President, called the meeting to order at 7:04 p.m. A quorum was not established with 9 members in attendance.
Minutes from the March 20, 2013 meeting were reviewed but not approved due to lack of quorum.
Not much activity to report. Did receive grant from Solid Waste Management and one donation. Bought water bottles from grant money. Need receipts from Hospitality.
- Pig Walk Photo’s Dine and Share was successful with over $300 being raised. Thank you for your support.
- Next Photo’s Dine and Share will be Friday, April 26.
- May 6 will be Pig Walk Kick-off Assembly.
- May 31 will be Pig Walk and 8th Grade Activity Night at Happenings near Orbit.
- Graduation is scheduled for June 5 at PHS in evening. 8th graders will attend a half day of school that day. 8th grade parents will be receiving a packet of information next week. Will be collecting $25 for activity night, picnic, and graduation items.
- 8th grade picnic is scheduled for June 4. Students will be encouraged to wear Sundling gear or Pig Walk tee shirts.
- Track and Field has started with 200 students participating. Track is undergoing repairs which have been delayed due to wet weather.
- Mr. Zilke has been selected for “Those Who Excel” Award from District 15 and at state level. Honor is well deserved and overdue.
- Teacher Appreciation Week is May 6-10. PTA will provide breakfast items, massages, and lunch for staff.
Teacher Representative’s Report
Jason Dietz for Beth Blazejak
Band : Mr. Zilke reports May 1 will be elementary school tour, May 2 is Jazz Band performance at Open House, May 14 and 16 will be 7th and 8th grade concerts, May 22 is Awards Banquet. Visit www.wrsband.org for upcoming events.
Student/Faculty Basketball Game: Suzanne Dowd reports this game was held Thursday, Feb. 21. Took in $1127 gross. Thank you to all faculty, students and volunteers!
Newsletter: Natalie Rosenburg. Email her with news at email@example.com.
Reflections: Catherine Kozul reports all Sundling students did very well.
Environmental Education: Kari McLennan reports she raffled off 40 water bottles to the students who pledged not to use disposable water bottles. She also presented an IPad slide show to students to educate them about plastic waste. Thank you to Deanna Hotchner for the help. Students were also encouraged to take a taste test of tap vs. bottled water and results were 49% bottled and 51% tap.
Health and Safety: Gina Streepy reports Blood Drive will be held at WRS on April 24 from 2:30-8:00. Call 877-543-3768 or register online at Lifesource.org and use source code PA09.
- Next meeting April 17, 2013, 7PM WRS district meeting room.
- PTA committee spots for 2013-2014 year are open. Email Kris Ahlgrim at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in volunteering next year. Positions that need to be filled are 1st VP of Legislation, Directory, Membership and Pig Walk.
- New PTA By-Laws were presented by Ann Lawrence. She noted that only mandatory changes needed to be made from the IL PTA. They were posted for 30 days, approved by Director. Changes were approved (Ahlgrim/Chung).
- PTA convention is April 19-21. Anyone who would like to attend April 20 and 21st contact Jen as she has free passes.
- Fremd Booster club will be meeting April 2 and 11, 7PM at Fremd Media Center.
- Mr. Dietz is requesting $115 from PTA to help purchase water bottles for staff during Teacher Appreciation Week. All committee chairs please look over your budgets and let Jen know if you have any left over money to allocate for this purchase.
- Important Dates:
- 3/21: Photos Dine and Share
- 3/22: Read-A-Rama
- 3/25-29: Spring Break
- 4/5: Report cards issued
- 4/15: Math Map testing
- 4/24: Blood Drive
- 4/26: Photos Dine and Share
- 5/3: Teacher Appreciation Week
- 5/31: Pig Walk and 8th Grade Activity Night
- 6/4: 8th Grade Picnic
- 6/5: 8th Grade Graduation
- Volunteering opportunities:
With the conclusion of all formal business and no additional items for discussion, Jen adjourned the meeting at 7:48 (Lawrence/ Dowd).
Minutes submitted by Linda Raby, WRS PTA Secretary